Organizations in past decades were working for the survivals in the market. These were not aware about the concept
of cooperation and competition because the markets were not so broad some years ago.
As with the passage of time when the markets becomes broad and organizations
comes to know about other organizations, some doing similar business and some doing different, these also come to know concept of cooperation and competition in the market which is external.
On the other hand these also
comes to know about importance of internal cooperation and competition, these realize that only cooperation and only competition in the organization is not fruitful for the long run survival and continuous growth of the
Both competition and cooperation are needed because if cooperation does not exist then goals of organization can not be achieved and if competition does not exist among workforce then development of workforce
can not possible and which is very essential for the development of organization in such competitive era where new ideas and concepts are required frequently if organization wants to grow.
With this, most of the companies
are adopting both concepts simultenously (competition and cooperation) and try to develop in workforce a natural desire to compete as well as to cooperate. In some situations cooperation is dominant, whereas in others, competition
is. But many organizations thinks that competition among workforce is not good for the organizations perhaps due to improper knowledge of competition but if these organizations see the cooperation properly then will come to know
that competition is emerged from the cooperation or is a part of cooperation.
means working together and cooperation can be divided into two categories: friendly and hostile. An example of friendly cooperation is the alliances you join to compete more efficiently against other individuals or groups. Hostile cooperation, on the other hand, is what exists between competitors.
Through competition employees comes to know about qualities, abilities and creativity of others which in turn they use these traits as motivators for their improvement to do something better than those employees. So in this
manner employees are cooperating for enhancing skills of each other in the name of competition.
How organizations motivate staff and employees include:
- Highlight and reward accomplishments of individuals, departments, and facilities.
Financial bonus and prizes - Offer cash bonuses and other rewards if goals are met.
- Use environmental messages to promote a sense of environmental and social responsibility.
Financial responsibility - Use financial messages to promote a sense of fiduciary responsibility.
- Tie employee performance standards to energy goal
Need for cooperation among employees:-
- For organizational growth
- To face competition in the market
- Smooth functioning of departments
- Continuous flow in production process
- To maintain industrial relations healthy
Need for competition:-
- Development of workforce
- Generation of new ideas
- Increase efficiency of employees
- To know the worth of employees
Thus, a reasonable attraction to competition is both healthy and natural but it should be fair competition.
Steps of Competition:-
* Identify your great and good employees, understand what motivates them and keeps them happy.
* Have a marketing plan for top employees
* As you come across talented people, keep them in a file.
* Develop a program to mentor and train employees
* Give them targets
* Use means of motivation
* Timely feedback of performance of others and their own for comparison
* Give encouragement to do better than others
Effects of Cooperative and Competitive Approaches
Cooperative styles are characterized by:-
1. Effective communication where ideas are verbalized, group members pay attention to one another and accept their
ideas and are influenced by them.
2. Friendliness, helpfulness, and less obstructiveness is expressed in conversations.
3. Coordination of effort, division of labor, orientation to task achievement, orderliness in
discussion, and high productivity tend to exist in cooperative groups.
4. Feeling of agreement with the ideas of others and a sense of basic similarity in beliefs and values.
5. Willingness to enhance the other's power to achieve the other's goals increases.
A competitive style's effects:-
1. Own decision increase confidence
2. Employees take initiative
3. competition helps in self development
4. New ideas are generated
5. As employees take decision on their own so it save time